Re: Re: Fwd:XFree4.4 no more GPL?

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 16:26, David Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:58:58PM +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >on 03/02/04 21:54, David Dawes wrote:
> >> The answer is to bypass the middle man and go straight to the
> >> source.  I'd like to see a range of package formats available from
> >> the XFree86 ftp site so that people can more easily exercise their
> >> freedom to run what they want without their vendor's "approval."

Thank you.

> >IMHO this is not the point: even ATM you can run XFree86 w/o your vendor's
> >"approval", you have just to grab the sources and compile them by yourself. And
> >you're in completeley *freedom* do to that, AFAIK with all the distributions, as
> >no one forces you to use Debian|RedHat|Mandrake|* packages in place of sources.
> >But I think that in theory a distribution maintainer for XFree86 should know
> >XFree86 on that distribution better than any other XFree86 developer, so he's
> >the first address for any problem which could be specific to that distribution.
> >And IMHO this is surely a real added value.
> >
> >On the other hand, even if XFree86 provides different package formats, how can
> >you be sure that they will be completely integrated in the different
> >distributions? I mean, about dependencies, platforms, libraries and so on... If
> >I install the XFree86 4.4.0 package on my Debian and some other software
> >installed don't work anymore because some conflicts? Should I manually compile
> >the non-working softwares or the XFree86 itself? Again, IMHO this is a
> >distribution-specific work, not an XFree86 one.
>
> Everyone can make their own choice.  I am interested in providing
> more choices.
>
> I also want to let everyone here know that XFree86 is committed to
> providing our software to the general public, with or without the
> cooperation of the distributions.

Unless a Debian Developer specifies that a packagage requires
"xserver-common (< 4.4)", which would royally steam me....

Also, you'd have to match how each major distro packages XFree86.
Tossing it all, for example, into xfree86.deb would break everything
that depends on it.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@xxxxxxx
Jefferson, LA USA

All of the "reporting" about Laci Peterson & Michael Jackson
reminds me of the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry": "Can we do the
operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the
newsroom got a running bet. Get the widow on the set, we need
dirty laundry."