Re: Opteron, PCI RADEON and PCIGART

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Mark Lane wrote:

>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:20:11 -0600
>From: Mark Lane <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Opteron, PCI RADEON and PCIGART
>
>Anyone know why GinGin64 would have problems with Forcing PCIMode with a Radeon
>7000. The log shows it looping errors about RADEONCP.

Hi Mark,

GinGin64 was an unsupported technology preview of a port of Red
Hat Linux 9 to AMD64.  It was intended to let AMD64 users be able
to sample the current state of the Red Hat Linux OS on the
platform.  That said, there are likely many bugs that you'll
stumble across, and there are no official updates or bugfixes
available as it was not an official OS release.

Having said that, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 is now available
which officially supports the AMD64 architecture, and
within the next week or so, Fedora Core 1 for AMD64 will be
released as well.  The XFree86 included in Fedora Core 1 includes
a great number of stability, performance, security fixes, and
other enhancements over previous OS releases, including the
unofficial GinGin64 technology preview.

I have fixed the AGP/PCI autodetection in the radeon driver for
good in our latest bits.  You might wish to upgrade to the new
release once it is available, as you'll likely find the system
runs much smoother.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris