Re: BUG: mouse behavior with linux 2.6.x

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Michal Kosmulski wrote:

>I recently upgraded from linux 2.4.23 to 2.6.2 and this caused some
>problems with my mouse in XFree86. I have XFree86 4.3.0 (official
>slackware 9.1 build) and I use nvidia's binary video driver (version 5336
>at the moment). My mouse is a ps/2 logitech mouse with a mouse wheel
>(s48). After I upgraded to linux 2.6.2, after starting up X, the mouse
>cursor didn't react to mouse movement for about 2 seconds of moving the
>mouse. After that, the mouse pointer did move, but the mouse wheel was not
>working. At that time I had "Protocol" set to "Auto" for my mouse and with
>kernel 2.4.23 the mouse was detected correctly and the mouse wheel worked.
>After I manually changed the setting to "ImPS/2", the delay in mouse
>motion stopped and the wheel works again. i didn't find anything
>non-standard in my XFree86 logs, but there were some messages in the
>syslog. The first two messages have disappeared after changing "Auto" to
>"ImPS/2", the rest still appears whenever X is started.
>I also get strange mouse behavior once in a while (once every 3 days or
>so): suddenly the mouse starts moving all by itself - it seems to go to
>one of the screens corners, but I can't really see where it goes. This
>motion stops at the moment I press any key. I don't think this could be
>attributed to dust in the mouse mechanism or anything similar - I believe
>it is also a bug.
>Excerpt from /var/log/syslog follows:
>

>Feb 11 14:54:16 nowy kernel: psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at
>isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 3 bytes away.
>Feb 11 15:46:17 nowy kernel: psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at
>isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 3 bytes away.
>Feb 11 16:11:25 nowy kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set
>2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
>Feb 11 16:11:25 nowy kernel: atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't
>access hardware directly.
>Feb 11 16:11:25 nowy kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set
>2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
>Feb 11 16:11:25 nowy kernel: atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't
>access hardware directly.

This is indeed an XFree86 bug.  A few weeks ago David posted a
patch to attempt to fix it, however that patch didn't work.

I added some debugging patches to the server and tracked the
problem down and fixed it in the latest Fedora Core development
XFree86 builds.

You can grab the latest Red Hat XFree86 src.rpm from rawhide and
extract the relevant patch if you like.

Hope this helps.

P.S.  On a side note, before anyone asks ...  I'd have submitted
my fix in bugzilla, however nobody was motivated to respond to
any of my emails on the subject of this bug over the last few
weeks while I was trying to help find a solution, so I am not
motivated to go out of my way to submit a patch either.  Two way
street.

--
Mike A. Harris