Alternate Approach For nVidia PPC Drivers

Howdy all,

There has been some discussion about the desire for nVidia drivers for
the PPC architecture on both this list as well as on devel@xxxxxxxxxxx
(it seems to be a big pain point for 12"/17" PowerBook owners who want
to run XFree86), but I haven't seen anything along these lines. This
idea was originally posted here:

    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25418&highlight=linux+ppc

I'm reposting it here to see if I can't generate some discussion. By the
way, if someone thinks this would be more appropriate to post to
devel@xxxxxxxxxxx, please let me know, and I will forward it on. Here's
the (mostly) original text:

>As a user, I'm not really concerned whether or not [nVidia PPC Linux]
>drivers are Open Source or not (although I would certainly commend
>nVidia for such a bold step). I just want them to be available.
>
>I'd like to ask a question, though: is it even conceivably possible to
>use the binary code distributed with OS X 10.x in Linux? What I mean
>is, is it possible that one could (in theory) write a wrapper for the
>Mach-0 based code for the video drivers? Kind of like what these guys
>have done to allow x86 Linux to use Windows wireless drivers:
>
>    http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/?PHPSESSID=c500d3092e9954138998fb5a8bac0713
>    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
>
>I don't even know which .dylib(s) hold(s) the appropriate code, but I'm
>imagining something like the following:
>
>1. Identify the appropriate .dylib files (and their dependencies?) in
>OS X (perhaps "otool -L
>/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLSystem.dylib"?)
>
>2. Find/write a Mach-0 object loader for Linux (is this necessary?
>Linux uses ELF, and OS X uses Mach-0, right?)
>
>3. Identify the approprate nVidia-specific symbols in the .dylib files
>(this probably requires some heavy reverse engineering/experimentation
>and a lot of patience)
>
>4. Write the wrapper/glue code to abstract the Mach-O loader/nVidia
>symbol calls as an XFree86 driver
>
>Is there anything wrong with my thinking here? If there are any nVidia
>developers reading this list, is this something nVidia would be willing
>to do? It seems like this might be a decent compromise (nVidia doesn't
>have to release its IP, and Linux users get updates with OS X).
>Alternatively, are there any bright independents out there who are
>capable/willing to tackle such a daunting task?
>
>An thoughts, comments, responses (especially from nVidia folks) would
>really be appreciated here. Thanks in advance.

So far, I haven't had any response via the nV News site (though the post
is relatively young). Any thoughts? Am I insane for proposing this? I
will admit I know absolutely nothing about graphics hardware or driver
development.

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before (and I wasn't
paying attention). Anyway, thoughts, comments, etc. are welcome and
encouraged.

--Matt