Re: XFree shouldn't access hardware directly errors.

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, David Dawes wrote:

>>>     Well, the kernel means what it says. XFree86 boldly goes and
>>>     accesses the keyboard controller registers when it starts up. This
>>>     is a bad thing to do, as it can conflict with the kernel using
>>>     these registers at the same time.  The kernel spots this and
>>>     complains, and in most cases is not affected by the problem.
>>>
>>>     So, unless you are an XFree86 developer and can fix X, ignore this
>>>     message.
>>>
>>> ----ScottG.
>>
>>Yes I know. I should have asked if there are plans to fix it.
>
>Does anyone know why the KDKBDREP ioctl fails?  Maybe the attached patch
>would make a difference?

Someone just pointed out your email here to me, which I didn't
catch as it whizzed by on xfree86 list traffic.  ;o)

One thing about XFree86 4.3.0 at least, is that both of the
following files:
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/lnx_kbd.c
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/lnx_io.c

... contain the exact same cut and pasted code for the keyboard
rate setting.  It appears that the code may have originally been
in lnx_io.c, and got moved to lnx_kbd.c later on which seems more
appropriate, but that the original code never got removed from
lnx_io.c, and is still gets called in 4.3.0.  I discovered this
after patching lnx_kbd.c with debug messages and none of them
showed up in the logs.

After grepping the tree for other ioport access I discovered that
the identical code was in the above two files, so I copied my
debugging patch back into itself, and changed the second diff
copy to patch lnx_io.c instead, thus patching both files.  The
patch applies cleanly to both files, and the log file now shows
my debugging messages, indicating lnx_io.c is the code that is
actually getting used.

I will test your patch, and get user feedback as well, and report
back wether it fixes the problem or not.

Thanks,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris