Re: Unable to start my X server.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response.
I noticed considerable slowdown when browsing the Internet. When looking
at the connectivity (indicated by the lights on the modem) I found that it was
going on and off. Juggling the cables slightly seemed to give a steady light on
the modem but Internet browsing showed no improvement. As a matter of fact,
mouse movement and the entire system became extremely slow and minutes later
completely unresponsive.
I couldn't open a terminal, so I rebooted the system. The problem appeared
since.

Now that you are asking about PCI, I noticed in the boot log the following
lines:
<6>PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfa174, last bus=1
<6>PCI: Using configuration type 1
<6>PCI: Probing PCI hardware
<3>Unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
<3>Unknown bridge resource 1: assuming transparent
<3>Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
<6>PCI: Using IRQ router VIA [1106/0686] at 00:14.0
<6>PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 01:00.0
<6>PCI: Sharing IRQ 3 with 00:03.0
<6>PCI: Disabling Via external APIC routing

and later

<6>PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:04.0
<6>PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:14.5
<6>Redundant entry in serial pci_table. Please send the output of
<4>lspci -vv, this message (134d, 7897, 134d, 0001)
<4>and the manufacturer and name of serial board or modem board
<4>to serial-pci-info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<4>register_serial(): autoconfig failed

Also when booting the machine interactively I was able to find the following
failures:

Starting ia64fmt: Installing IA-64 interpreters: mount: none
already mounted or /proc/sys/fs/bin-fmt-misc busy
mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on
/proc/sys/fs/bin-fmt-misc                    [FAILED]
Starting devfsd deamon: Error opening file: ".devfsd"
No such file or directory                    [FAILED]

Do you think that this is a problem with the X server itslef or with something
else?

Again, I thank you for your time and response.
Wassim