Re: XFree86 4.3.x: ValueUnion and loaded variable names

On Thursday 19 February 2004 06:07 pm, Kelledin wrote:
> We might possibly have gcc skip the offending stdbool.h
> contents whenever __STRICT_ANSI__ is defined.  I would
> consider that fairly proper myself, as this is exactly what
> gcc -ansi is supposed to address.  I'll run off to the gcc
> devs and see if I can make the case there.
>
> If we decide to go that route, we'd also have to make sure the
> relevant parts of XFree86 compile with gcc -ansi.  Then this
> problem might go away entirely, except for not-so-recent gcc
> compilers.

Hmm.  Well, that's not necessarily a good path either.  I've met
some resistance from the gcc devs, and now I'm beginning to
realize that this might not solve our problems.  You see,
ncurses uses the bool type in their interface specs and has for
a while now.  Drastically changing ncurses is probably not an
option.

So it all comes back to this loaded symbol "bool".  Our troubles
probably won't be over until we rename it (and put up with some
temporary discontent from driver developers).

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"