sysyem lock after leaving GUI

Aloha

Please kokua. I have installed FreeBSD 5.2 and XFree86 4.3.0 on an older system. This inherited system is a Celeron 266 with 256MB ram. I have two 4Gig HD's. The first drive ad0 is my FreeBSD and I have Lindows (yuck!) on ad3 with a CDRW using ad2.

The graphics card is an ATI Rage IIC and I have a generic monitor that I had all kinds of trouble setting up. After searching the internet and reading all of the emails from freebsd newbies and xfree86 I have successfully implemented the X system and am using gnome2.

I still have a couple of serious problems that have me stuck. The first and most serious is after typing startx and entering Gnome all works well and seems fine. My audio system is not working but that's problem number two.

When I log out of Gnome I get a few errors:

AUDIT: Tue Feb 17 16:36:34 2004: 553 XFree86: Client 5 rejected from local host
/dev/dsp: no such file or directory
**(nautilus:594[code varies]): WARNING**: destroyed file still being monitored
**(nautilus:594): WARNING**: destroyed file still being monitored
**(nautilus:594): WARNING**: destroyed file still being monitored
**(nautilus:594): WARNING**: destroyed file still being monitored
waiting for X server to shutdown

bsd8gig#

At this time if I type startx to enter the gui again my system locks up and I can only power down reboot. After rebooting I can enter X again for only one session. If after leaving X, I do a "shutdown -r now" I can enter X after the reboot with no trouble.

When this gets fixed, I'll try again with the sound card . I have made some progress with that problem but it seemed to complicate my first problem.

Mahalo for any suggestions.

Robert

P.S. Oh yeah, XF86Config and XFree86.0.log attached.