current locale is not supported in X11, locate is set to CX

Hi,

I've got a Mandrake9.2 installation which has been running fine for many
months. However I am now getting this message when starting any java gui
app (eg jedit):

[simon@pcsimon xsltmap]$ jedit
current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale
modifiers are not supported, using defaultException in thread "main"
[error] main: java.lang.InternalError: Current locale is not supported

And this when starting any gnome app (eg gvim):

(gvim:20627): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib
(gvim:20627): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

The most significant change made to my machine over the last few days
was to apply the latest MandrakeUpdate updates, including some for
XFree86.

I am not in the "CX" (czech?) locale, and never have been. Here is what
"locale" reports, which is exactly as I expect it:

[simon@pcsimon simon]$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE=en_US
LC_NUMERIC=en_NZ
LC_TIME=en_US
LC_COLLATE=en_US
LC_MONETARY=en_NZ
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_PAPER=en_NZ
LC_NAME=en_NZ
LC_ADDRESS=en_NZ
LC_TELEPHONE=en_NZ
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_NZ
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_NZ
LC_ALL=

I have tried selecting a language at the GDM (graphical login screen)
but still get the locale-related problems when starting apps. I've also
created a $HOME/.i18n file with all LC_ vars set to en_US, and still get
the problem.

I've googled for "locale CX" and found half-a-dozen people who appear to
have encountered this same problem. Unfortunately, no useful answers
were posted to any of these questions.

[simon@pcsimon simon]$ rpm -qa | grep 86
XFree86-4.3-24.4.92mdk
libxfree86-4.3-24.4.92mdk
XFree86-server-4.3-24.4.92mdk
libxfree86-devel-4.3-24.4.92mdk
XFree86-xfs-4.3-24.4.92mdk
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3-24.4.92mdk

[simon@pcsimon fonts]$ XFree86 -version

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 9 May 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.19-37mdkenterprise i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 11 February 2004
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present

Anyone got any ideas at all???