Debugging help needed

Hi,

I have a problem with the X server that I'd like very much to track
down, or help track down but I'm absolutely clueless how to debug it.
Any help anyone can offer would be deeply appreciated.

Symptoms: at irregular intervals, the X server will spin up to 100% cpu
usage. during this time, the system continues to function normally (I
have a dual CPU system), I can ssh into it from another machine and it
responds, but the GUI is completely frozen.

The server doesn't respond to SIGTERM, and SIGKILL freezes the entire
system, including ssh logins. However, SIGSTOP will suspend it, and
while suspended I can kill it with SIGKILL and restart it to get back to
a normal working system. SIGCONT while suspended will send it back up to
100% CPU and remain unusable

The big problem with this is that while it happens fairly frequently,
say once every other day or so, it's never at a predictable place, I
can't pin down a sequence of events that locks it up. Race condition?

I've been running the default X server in suse 8.2 and 9.0 with this
problem, and I recently installed 4.4 RC3 from xfree86.org in the hopes
that it would solve it, but the problem remains.

I really want this problem solved, as it is a major pain to live with,
but I need help with how to debug it. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance
Anders