keyboard switching

I'm a total keyboard newbie; I've been struggling with this for a while. I've read the manpage and the READMEs in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb to no avail.

I need to switch between Japanese and US keyboard layouts. For some reason, setxkbmap won't let me use any other layout if I specify the 'jp' keyboard.

[root@poseidon xkb]# /usr/X11R6/bin/setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model jp106 -layout "us" -option "grp:ctrl_alt_toggle"

[root@poseidon xkb]# /usr/X11R6/bin/setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model jp106 -layout "us,cz" -option "grp:ctrl_alt_toggle"

[root@poseidon xkb]# /usr/X11R6/bin/setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model jp106 -layout "jp" -option "grp:ctrl_alt_toggle"

[root@poseidon xkb]# /usr/X11R6/bin/setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model jp106 -layout "jp,us" -option "grp:ctrl_alt_toggle"

Error loading new keyboard description

[root@poseidon xkb]#

It appears that the japanese keyboard has two internal layouts, which are toggled. But I can't get a clear understanding of how this is suppsed to work. setxkbmap doesn't have a verbose or debug option, so I don't know *why* it's getting an error.

I'm guessing (and it's purely a guess) that the togle specified on the command line is interfering with the internal toggle in the japanese keyboard but I can't find anything in the japanese keyboad definition files that would switch the mapping....

Ideally, I want the keyboard LEDs to show which keyboard is active (say with scroll-lock LED) but for now I just need to be able to switch keyboards.

TIA,

--Yan

Yan Seiner, PE  (_)\(_)     ,>/'_   o__     o__
Cardinal Engineering, Inc. (_)\(_)  ,>/'_   ,>/'_
http://www.cardinalengineering.com (_)\(_) (_)\(_)
spam killer code kpwq1jkcsEzdx39gnkVvgycd15ayqq