radeon 8500 hi-res 3d question

dan list wrote:

> Hi, I have a radeon 8500 card with 64MB of RAM, and my desktop
> resolution set to 2048x1536 I'm running the debian 4.3.0 radeon
xserver.

> I can run 3d programs at lower resolutions or in smaller windows just

> fine, but at full screen I get mostly black pixels, with a few
> stationary pixels that are correctly rendered. I tried the ATI
driver,
> and it renders everything fine at 2048x1536, but it was slow as hell
for
> 2d, and crashed my system, so I think the hardware should support
doing
> this. Is there some option I need to setup for XFree to work in 3d at

> this high of a resolution?

This is a known bug in the 3D driver.  I first noticed it with
mergedfb.  rendering is corrupted at with a desktop of 2048 pixels if
the full screen 3D context extends to the 2048th pixel.  this is the
limit of the 3D engine.  I'm not sure where the bug is offhand.  I
didn't see anything suspicious.  if you try a 2047x1536 mode, it should
render fine.

here's the last thread on this:

Alex