855patch fails with "Could not calculate correct location to patch!" message

Dear gurus,

I bought a Dell Inspiron 500m with Intel's 855gme graphics and decided to isntall Mandrake 9.2 on it. In the internet I found that I need 855patch to make it work with X. I donwloaded the patch, made it and ran from the command line:

./855patch 8192.

This got me the message: Could not calculate correct location to patch!

I checked the output from dmesg and discovered no conflicts there and I made sure that agpgart module is loaded. My kernel is 2.4.22-10, but I tried older one with the same results.

I managed to make the X work with XFree4.3 vesa driver with 1024x768, 8bpp and I attached the XFree86 log file for more details.
What goes wrong?

Any suggestions and advices are higly appreciated. Please CC to my address, I'm not subsribed to the list.

Thanks,
~Serge

+++++
This mail has been sent through the MPI for Demographic Research.  Should you receive a mail that is apparently from a MPI user without this text displayed, then the address has most likely been faked.   If you are uncertain about the validity of this message, please check the mail header or ask your system administrator for assistance.