XFREE86 on THE LAST DELL LATITUDE D505

Hi
my laptop latitude d505 with a i855GME chipset is not working at all I
tried two distributions SUSE 9 PRO or RedHat 9.0

with RH90 distribution I cannot install the system from graphical
environment, only text.

with SUSE 9.0 PRO the graphical modes is working fine, frame buffer seems to
work with the 3 available screen size. but the last step of installation
fails when the XFree86 driver is used !
during the boot the penguin is there in the upper-left corner (frame
buffer is ok) but when the startx runs, all the machine freezes at the
screen starts to get green !!!! CTRL+ALT +DEL is the last chance I have to
do something....

LAST INFORMATION
I have a dual boot with XP PRO, the graphics board works fine, it is not
damaged

Hope you can really help me, Christophe