Re: external crt on i855 laptop

Hello,

on 02/06/04 20:02, L. Jensen wrote:
> I am still very eager to get the external crt display working.  One
> possibility was to configure X so that it could drive the crt.  Luca's
> comment and some lines in the log make me think there is a chance, but I
> still don't know how to get it to work.  Do I need a change to the
config?
> Must the external monitor be connected when X starts?
In order to use the CRT, this *must* be connected when X starts and you
should 'startx' from a console *on* the CRT (I mean, boot on console,
switch to CRT with Fn+F8 and then log in and 'startx'). I don't know any
other way to change the XF86Config-4 values while X is running, even if
I know this is possible (at least for the Synaptics TouchPad on/off).

> Another possibility would be to figure out how to fix the keyboard hotkey
> FnF8, which should turn on the crt but is buggy, [...]
Well, the Fn+F8 isn't completely buggy, it turns on the CRT but only the
CRT, I mean, not LCD+CRT. So, I think it's not a Fn+F8 problem.

> [...] or how to fix i810switch,
> which activates the crt by writing to a location in /dev/mem but
drives the
> crt at a frequency that is out of range.
Yes, this should be a good idea, but I don't have the capacity to do so.

> Could this be used to fix i810switch?  Could we program SXGA+ resolution
> without relying on the BIOS?
IMHO this is done by the Windows driver to manage SXGA+. So there's a
way to do the same on GNU/Linux, but again I don't have the capacities.

> ===============
> (--) PCI:*(0:2:0) Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device
rev 2,
> Mem @ 0xf0000000/27, 0xffa80000/19, I/O @ 0xdc00/3
> (--) PCI: (0:2:1) Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device
rev 2,
> Mem @ 0xe8000000/27, 0xff980000/19
These are the 2 video devices added in your XF86Config-4 (and mine,
too), but the external CRT works even if you've just one device. I think
we need the 2 to have LCD+CRT on different resolutions (not in mirror
mode, but desktop extended with Xinerama), but ATM I can't get them working.

> (II) I810(0): No active displays on Pipe A.
> (II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe B:
> (II) I810(0): 	LFP (local flat panel)
This is my normal situation if I use the internal LCD (as from the LCD
log I attached). On the other hand, from the CRT log I've exactly the
contrary (active Pipe A). As I wrote above, you should have the CRT
active on a pipe to use it on X.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca