Re: external crt on i855 laptop

Hello,

on 02/05/04 08:49, L. Jensen wrote:
> I want to be able to use an external monitor with an Asus M3N laptop
with i855
> chipset and integrated 64MB Intel graphics.  The laptop has a SXGA+
1400x1050
> lcd, but so I still cannot use that resolution. I have still been
unable to get
> an acceptable display on an external monitor,
well, I'm working on an external DellP1110 at 1600x1200, as you can from
the screenshot on my report. To use internal and external resolution
>1024x768 you should enable AGPgart/DRM/DRI support, if you don't know
how, please read the instructions on my report at
	http://luca.pca.it/projects/asus/m3410c.php

> 1) The FnF8 key is supposed to toggle between lcd, lcd+crt, crt.  For
me it
> switches between lcd-only and crt-only but is never usable (even
switching
> back: lcd->crt->lcd).  In the best case the desktop is displayed below
a band
> of noise at the top of the screen and with its bottom cut off.  Other
times
> the whole display is a mess. Switching to another vt and back will
restore
> the display to good condition on the lcd.
This is the same for me.

> 2) There is a tool called i810switch which writes to a location in
/dev/mem.
> This successfully activates the external crt when it is attached.
> Unfortunately the display is out of focus and some monitors report the
signal
> as out of range.  The tool can turn off the monitor too, but cannot
activate
> the lcd on an i855.
Again, same here.

> 3) The asus_acpi project provides a kernel module and /proc interface.
> Reading from /proc/asus/acpi/disp should give a number related the
current
> display state, and writing to the file should change the state.
Remarkably,
> a simple read of the file will distort the lcd by putting the band of
noise
> at the top of the display.  Nothing I write to the file has any affect.
Same here, but from the 'acpi4asus-0.27' README:
=====
4.1.1 Display switching

  Note: the display switching code is currently considered EXPERIMENTAL.

  Switching works for the following models:
    L3800C
    A2500H
    L5800C

  Switching doesn't work for the following:
    M3700N
    L2X00D (locks the laptop under certain conditions)
=====

> 4) I thought I might configure XF86 to drive the external display in the
> config file, but the few things I tried failed.
Do you mean trying Xinerama? It doesn't work in my case and nobody seems
to have a solution ATM.

> Any ideas how to get this to work?  If #4 has a chance and you want to
see my
> config, just ask.  BTW, of course I suffer from the unavailability of
> 1400x1050 in the BIOS, so I am using 1280x1024 for now.
Try enabling AGPgart/DRM/DRI.

BTW, I already posted in this list about some problems of these, here
the link:

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca