core dump when configuring

Aloha

I have been having some problems getting XFree86 configured on one of my systems. I have read and followed the handbook to the best of my ability with no success.

My system is a Mercury mainboard with a SiS 630e chipset and a 1GHzPro processor. I have an Adaptec AHA-2940UW scsi interface with an 18GB Western Digital HD connected. I am installing from a FReeBSD 5.2 Cd that was downloaded and burned properly.  The MD5Sum was checked before burning.

The SiS630 Chipsetincludes an integrated 128-bit 2D/3D graphics accelerator. The graphics system uses the Ultra-AGP architecture and uses a shared memory scheme that allows up to 64 MB of system memory to be used as video memory.

The most recent attempt I installed FReeBSD 5.2 with XFree86 and did not set it up during install. After rebooting, I did an:

#XFree86 -configure

all seemed to go well and XF86Config.new was created in /root. I then did:

XFree86 -xf86config XFree86Config.new

An attempt is made and the the program crashes and the core is dumped in /root as XFree86Config.core.

I have attached the file /var/log/XFree86.0.log for your benefit.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Robert Marella

P.S. I have tried several times to set up XFree86 during install. I always got the dialog box that stated "XFree86 failed, would you like to try again. YES   NO