Switching dynamically PanelOff?

Hi,

I discovered the option "PanelOff" "on" for a radeon card (on a Sony Z1
laptop) and it changed my life because I was able to use my replicator
and close the lid while having an external 19" VGA monitor (and external
keyboard and mouse).

I can even  have an external monitor at 1400x1050 which is great.

But in order to have "PanelOff on" set I need two separate files
XF86Config-4 and XF86Config-4-dock which includes the "PanelOff on"
option. Then I need a special "startxdock" script  which simply is:

#!/bin/sh
# In  order to start X when in a dock.
startx -- -xf86config XF86Config-4-dock

But how can I dynamically switch from one setting to the other without
shutting down the X-server? Is there any change in /proc/whatever which
could be set dynamically. If successful I could use FunctionKEY F7 to
switch like on Windows.

Sorry if the answer is trivial but I haven't found any answer, on Google
at least.

Nicolas Brouard

Nicolas.brouard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Institut national d'études démographiques
Paris