Re: trouble loading Xfree86

----- Original Message -----
From: "Forrest Herr" <os_penguin@xxxxxxx>
To: <XFree86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 11:26 PM
Subject:  trouble loading Xfree86

>     I managed to get the log file onto a removeable drive, and onto
another
> computer so that I can e-mail it to you so you can better help me.  Thank
> you

  Your card didn't get configured.  I would manually configure it using
"xf86config".  I assume you are getting a command prompt?  Just type
the above command and answer the questions.  Make sure you know
the amount video memory allocated for your card and the specs for your
monitor (vert and horiz freq. and applicable resolutions and refresh rates
which are available).  For example, I have a KDS Visual Sensations Model
19sn monitor which has a vert refresh rate of 30-95 and a horiz refresh rate
of 50-160.  I have a SiS 740 chipset to which I have allocated 64MB of
memory.  Given this, I am able to set my resolution to 1280x1024 @ 85Hz
and 24 million bits true color.  All this info should be available in the
doc
provided with your computer.

  If this is too complicated, just reinstall and pay particular attention
when you
come to the section that configures your graphics.  Make sure you check
graphical
login and, if provided, push a button that is usually titled "test" which
displays
a screen if everthing is working correctly.

Regards,
JeffS