Re: In short

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Pedro M. wrote:

>I suggest Xfree can create a /var/log/XFree86.0.short.log to only show the  error , not all the process

The purpose of the log isn't just for newbies.  In particular,
the log file spit out by a default XFree86 installation, is what
ALL users will include in bug reports to developers, and on
mailing lists and whatnot when they have problems.  If that log
contains less information, then the person having the problem
will get less help.  It's hard enough as a developer to even get
a user to provide their config file and log file as it is from
the start, let alone to have to ask them to then please enable
more verbosity so that enough data could be seen in the log file.

The log file verbosity *IS* configureable, so feel free to lower
the verbosity if you desire (after reading the appropriate
documentation), however I would suggest that you not bother
posting log files to anyone for help (developer or otherwise)
unless they are at least using the default verbosity, as you're
just making life on the developer/volunteer harder by providing
them with less information.

I can't speak for other developers/volunteers, but if I receive a
terse log file, I don't go on a handholding session, I either
delete or ignore, or at best, request one with full information.

>This is very important to newbies and for a more easy use ( http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/user-friendliness ).

The log file really isn't there for end users, and thus not for
user friendliness.  User friendliness would require that users
never ever have to ever see the log file or even be aware that it
exists.  It is a technical piece of data, intended for engineers
to debug problems.  It's also useful for end users to
troubleshoot failures of course, but it's primary purpose is for
developers to get detailed information in bug reports.  Making
that information less detailed by default makes everyone's life,
including the newbie, more difficult.  Especially the newbie,
because they're more likely to not get important information in
the log file to be able to troubleshoot their problem, and more
likely to need help from someone else.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

--
Mike A. Harris