Neomagic portrait display

Title: Message
Greetings,

My problem:
I am in the process of turning an old laptop into a picture frame, however I'm running into one particularly confusing roadblock pertaining to the rotate option.  In my XF86config file I have specified that I'd like my screen rotated.  The computer correctly rotates the screen, however the viewport (don't know if this is correct terminology) is still set to the origenal layout.  All of the text and various widgets of the Gui are properly rotated, however there is a 200 pixel space of general garbage about 600 pixels down from the new top left corner.  When I move the mouse right and left to the extents of the screen it scrolls back and forth as if to give me my full 800x600 resolution.  Essentially my desktop area is 800x600 while my physical screen geometry (after being turned) is 600x800.  I need somehow to make the computer realize that the 800 is now the vertical and the 600 is the horizontal.

Things I've tried that didn't work:
I then changed the resolution to 600x800 hoping it would solve the problem, however this setting was apparently not valid as I got no picture at all.

System specs:
Fedora Core 1
Neomagic 128 graphics chip
XF86 4.3