I've lost my X server

OK - this is a long story, but it's probably of no real interest to
anyone but me, so here's the short version - and I hope I don't leave
out relevant details:

After a Mozilla crash, I lost my X server. I tried startx from a
command promt and got:

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
giving up
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

I then discovered that the link to X pointed to a nonexistant file,
because ls -la /etc/X11/X gave this:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           27 Apr 18  2003 /etc/X11/X
-> ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86*

but the file /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 didn't exist. I have no idea why.
Since I have an additional partition with the same version of
Mandrake installed, I decided to take a chance and copy the missing file. That
resulted in X starting to load, but aborting with error messages
refering to missing modules. I'll include the log at the end of this post.

I then tried re-installing XFree86 from RPM but that didn't change
anything. I even tried RPM --erase and then re-installed X - still no
luck. So I decided that this would be a good time to update from MDK91 to MDK92
and hoped that a new version of X would solve the problem. However I'm still
getting the same error messages.

Before I include the error messages, let me just say that this is not
a hardware problem and probably not a problem with X but with some
parameters that somehow got screwed up after the original Mozilla crash. The
reason I say this is that, as I mentioned, I have an additional installation of
Mandrake on a seperate partition and it still runs X with no problems. I
even updated it also from MDK91 to MDK92 with no problems. In case
anyone is wondering why I don't just use the working version, the reason is
that it's on a small partition with no room for anything but the most
basic utilities - I don't even have room for sendmail, Mozilla, or
anything. And, of course, my **normal** partition has everything I've
set up and use.

BTW - I have a full backup of everything, but I have no idea where to
look for whatever files have been screwed up. I did find some similar
errors on GOOGLE, but nothing that helped.

OK - here's the log I get when I try startx (after having
re-installed everything). The relevant lines are near the end, but
I'm including the whole log:

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.21-0.13mdksmp i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 12 March 2003
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??)
unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Jan  5
15:52:42 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
(==) ServerLayout "layout1"
(**) |-->Screen "screen1" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "monitor1"
(**) |   |-->Device "device1"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard1"
(**) Option "XkbCompat" "default+group_led"
(**) XKB: compat: "default+group_led"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) XKB: model: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us,il"
(**) XKB: layout: "us,il"
(**) Option "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"
(**) XKB: options: "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"
(==) Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse1"
(**) FontPath set to "unix/:-1"
(==) RgbPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
(**) Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"
Using vt 7
(--) using VT number 7

(II) Open APM successful
(II) Module ABI versions:
        XFree86 ANSI C Emulation: 0.2
        XFree86 Video Driver: 0.6
        XFree86 XInput driver : 0.4
        XFree86 Server Extension : 0.2
        XFree86 Font Renderer : 0.4
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module bitmap
(II) UnloadModule: "bitmap"
(EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist,
0)
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module pcidata
(II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not
exist, 0)

Fatal server error:
Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxxx

TIA