Problem with GUI

Hi
   Our Redhat Linux server was working fine for last 2 weeks. Last day we found that, GUI was not opened after booting . After displaying the message "No printer defined" it was stopped. We can move to any terminal from Ctrl+Alt+F1 to Ctrl+Alt+F6. But the GUI Ctrl+Alt+F7 is not possibleto open. Then we run Xconfigurator. After that when we execute startx it shows the following error
   Fatal server error:
   Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

   When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
   the full server output, not just the last messages.
   Please report problems to xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxxx

   giving up.
   xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to
   X server
   xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

We went to the directory /tmp  and run the command " ls -a"
it shows that --> "ls: .X0-lock: Input/output error    "
We can not rename the file, delete the file , change the attribute of the file.
At the time of rebooting it also shows
file /tmp/.X0-lock can not be deleted : input/output error
So it is not possible to run GUI.
What will we do ?
Please reply as early as possible.

Sourajit