Re: black screen on startup

> I see your using the DRI CVS and not the XFree86 CVS. You should really
> be reporting to dri-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and not xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I apologize for that.

FYI, I finally just fixed the problem by setting "Internal Graphics Mode
Select" in my i845's BIOS from 1 MB to 8 MB.  This had been changed when
my CMOS was somehow reset.  The only thing I don't understand is *why*
this could have fixed anything, when I'm specifying in XF86Config that
64 MB of onboard memory is to be used as video RAM, and there's no video
RAM at all other than onboard memory because of the way the i810
architecture works.  Does the X server (DRI or otherwise) need a certain
amount of graphics memory available in order to initialize its modes
before it loads the i810 driver?  Because if it were limited to 1 MB at
that stage, then that would at least explain why I was stuck in 640x480.

Oh yeah, and if it then tries to start in 32-bit color depth by default
instead of 16 (which I think may have been the one thing I changed when
I was trying to fix the 640x480 problem), then it won't even be able to
use 640x480 anymore since 640 * 480 * 4 bytes > 1 MB.  Hence, no
available modes.  Hence, a black screen.

What do you guys think?  Did I answer my own question?  :)