xmodmap abd xkb - dead and compose keys

My SuSE9.0 linux comes with a ~/.Xmodmap file which suggests how
to move things around so (say Control_R) becomes MultiKey.

The xkb docs I have found so far kind of imply there is a new way to do
this kind of thing, and that applications can become "xkb aware".

I want to be able to type accented characters and phonetics
into perl/Tk apps. (I am the perl/Tk maintainer so I can change the C
code as necessary). I don't mind if I use dead-keys or MultiKey style.

Questions:
   Why are the 'deadkeys' where they are (UK keyboard) rather than more
   memorable places - e.g. why is dead_circumflex ALtGr+apostrophe
   rather than (say) AltGr+asciicircumflex?
   I found Sun's "Compose+letter+accent" style easier to guess.
   If I understood why things are where they are it might be easier.
   Is it "easy" to move dead variant of accent to key with a glyph that
   looks like accent e.g
     '\'' -> dead_acute
     '`'  -> dead_grave
     '~'  -> dead_tilde
     '^'  -> dead_circumflex
     ','  -> dead_cedilar
   etc. ?
   Question above can be re-phrased as "Why wasn't it done that way?"

   How does all this interact with LANG locale setting - with particular
   reference to UTF-8 locales.

   Where should I be looking for docs on keyboard stuff in modern XFree86?
   How does an application become "xkb aware"?
   Client side is there an easy way to get UTF-8 from all this?