01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 (rev 5d)

I still have problems with my cyberblade and
greenish/reddish screens when
-having splashing screens
-playing avi files (mplayer/xine).

Most of the times it works, then something happens and
you get a green screen when playing an avi. Sometimes
you are lucky and if you use different progs or try to
play other avi files the problem disappears. Other
times there is no way of recovering and you have to
poweroff (restart X never helps).
In between you can play other things, say vcds.

I tried to understand if there is a possible
workaround, but no clue. Have experienced this with
all the distros I tried (mdk/rh/fedora/suse).

Any help?
Should I give up hope or will this problem be fixed in
the future?? I have the feeling that this problem is a
bug of the later versions of X.

Thanks a lot