RE: Cannot start anything other than Twm session

The warning seen by ypu is not related to your error.
The ATI graphics chipset you are using does always expose
an uncritical secondary device in the logs.

I currently dont have the full report present here
but if one windowmanager launches and an other
does not launch then the problem is not at the
driver detection level.

You might retry using an XF86 config that disables
DRI and other accelleration for testing.

-Alex.