configuration of virtual desktop on fbdev device

Hello,

I am trying to configure Linux Xfree86 in order to
have a large virtual desktop area. The device has a
small 320 x 240 pixel screen, and 100 dpi. At the
moment, I can use fbdev to drive the screen in either
landscape or portrait mode, but I am interested in
trying to change the dpi level (perhaps to see a 640
by 480 pixel image on the screen) and also to set up a
virtual desktop, where the desktop is larger than the
display itself and allows the screen to show different
parts of the desktop.

If there is already an existing Xfree86 project that
does this, I would appreciate a link to it. Thank you
for any assistance.