Problem running X-windows on a television

Hello all,

I am attempting to run X-windows on my Sanyo AVM-3259S television, in
preparation for running FreeVo.  The command line output to the television
works fine; it is visible and I can run ncurses-based programs with no
problems.  Whenever I 'startx &', however, the screen goes blank - I do not
get a cursor or any visible signs.  I can stop the X-windows server using
ctrl,alt,backspace fine but the command line character size suddenly shrinks
massively (to about one-half the size it was before I tried to start the
X-windows server).  I have to reboot the box to bring the size of the
command line characters back to normal.

I am currently running Gentoo linux, kernel version 2.4.40 and XFree86
4.3.0; I have also 'emerge'd the ati-drivers. My video card is an ATI All in
Wonder 8500 DV; I am connecting to the television via S-video from the
included dongle.  I am including my copies of .xsession (my .xinitrc is a
symbolic link to this file), X config and log files.

Thanks for your help,
Donald Wheeler