From: xfree86-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xfree86-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Gabriel Bauman
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 5:32 PM
To: XFree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Can't start X with I830M chipset, 8MB preallocated
video RAM

Hello,

I can't get XFree86 to start up on my laptop with an Intel 830M video
chipset. I'm running kernel 2.4.22 and XFree86 4.3.99.901 (4.4 RC1).
I've built and installed the latest DRI kernel stuff. AGP GART support
is in the kernel.

My video bios pre-allocates about 8MB of shared video RAM, which should
be more than enough for 1024x768x16 graphics. My video hardware and flat
panel are all detected perfectly by the X server. No matter what I put
in my config file, XFree86 still dies with "No Video BIOS modes for
chosen depth"... It doesn't matter how low I set my resolution and color
depth, I still get the error.

One problem seems to be that the driver's attempt to tell my BIOS about
the extra video RAM it's allocated for X's use is failing. The thing is,
the BIOS knows about ~8MB of video RAM without the driver telling it
anything, and that should be enough for 1024x768x16. agpgart also sees
8MB of video ram at boot, so I SHOULD be able to at least get a screen
running!

If it helps any driver developers, the BIOS I'm working with is inside a
Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop and is release A09. I would go harass Dell but
I don't know what to ask for. If anyone can confirm my take on this
issue, I'd appreciate it.

I've attached the full log and config file. Sure hope someone out there
can help!

Thanks,

Gabe