hiding pointer and/or moving it off screen

I run presentations on an X server. The pointer, which
isn't connected to anything(I don't have a mouse for
it), sits in the middle of the screen. I have been
able to use 'xsetroot' to make it transparent so it
doesn't show.

But some programs I use will change the pointer to an
arrow when they are under the pointer. Then of course
it shows.

I know a little bit of python (don't know C), and have
been able to use python-xlib to move the pointer
around on the screen, but I can't move it off the
screen.
Python-xlib allows functions of the C Xlib library to
be called from python.

After looking through a large part of python-xlib's
code that pertains to pointers, I don't think it is
python-xlib that is preventing me from moving the
pointer off the screen.

Is there a way that I can get X to move the pointer
off the screen or prevent programs from changing the
pointer's cursor?