Crash problems and how to diagnose

I am having a problem which locks the desktop but which I don't know how
to pinpoint.  The symptoms are an unresponsive desktop.  No response to
mouse or keyboard movement.  Focus doesn't change, nothing is clickable
and no animations on the mouse or on the desktop (karamba) actually
animate.  The mouse however is still movable.

The problem happens at any time of the day.  Reguardless of window
manager, mouse icons, desktop environment, programs running, whether the
computer is in use, in screensaver mode, or in powersaver mode and
reguardless of how long it has been since the last crash.  It varies any
where from ever 5min to a couple of days.

I do know however that the computer continues to run and I can clear the
problem by SSH'ing into the box and doing a killall -9 X.

I assume that my problem is with XFree86 since nothing else is consisant
among all crashes.  I am running Xfree86 4.3-23mdk, kernel 2.4.22.21mdk,
and usually kde 3.1.3-79.1.92mdk.  Hardware is a Geforce 429  128mb,
athlon 1.53ghz, and gigabyte motherboard.

Now I know that I probably can't come in here and give that explanation
and have someone pop up with what the problem is.  (It would be nice if
I could but I doubt that can happen.)  What I would like to know is how
to narrow down the problem.  I do not know what logs to check, what
commands to run, and what to look for to find out specifically what is
causing this problem.  While I have been running linux 2 or 3 years now,
no-one has ever explained this to me.  If you would just tell me that
much I would appriciate it so I can finally find the problem as it
really pisses me off to crash randomly and repeatedly.

Oh, it seems that running mplayer v1.0pre2-3.3.1 with CPUflags:  MMX: 1
MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0 causes the crash very soon
after a file begins playing, but I am not absolutely sure of that.
Anyway, thank you for any help you can supply

Gabriel Bassett
gbassett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx