strange fonts after updating to 4.3.0

Hi.  I recently updated to Xfree 4.3.0.  Everything has gone smoothly but for
a strange font problem I've not found mention of anywhere.  Truetype fonts
seem to be the problem.  They all replace capital letters with odd
characters.  For instance, Google's web site uses font family: Arial.  When I
load that page, all the lower case letters are in uppercase and the capital
letters are changed so that Google becomes 'OOGLE, Search becomes 3EARCH,
Directory becomes $IRECTORY, News becomes .EWS and the like.  There's also an
awful lot of spaces between some of the words.  I've found the same to be
true in all KDE applications that can change fonts, Mozilla, Opera and Open
Office.org.

Testing in a word processor shows the problem happens with Time New Roman,
Arial, Bookman L Ee (though not Bookman L), Century Schoolbook and Chancery L
Ee (though not Chancery L), among others.  The test further shows that when
using the fonts that have the problem, typing a to z in lower case shows all
uppercase and typing A to Z in uppercase shows:

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:

As I pointed out previously, in some similar fonts (like Chancery L Ee and
Chancery L), it happens with one and not the other.

I'm not sure what further information to give at this point that would be
relevant to my issue.

I might add, maybe, that I'm using Linux on x86 architecture.  I hope someone
can help me with this.

Panther