Help on Video/Monitor configuration with Red Hat Linux

Well do you have an nvidia card or an ati radeon?  support for both of
these cards was added after 4.3 was released so you will need to either
update to cvs or wait for 4.4 or maybe update to a newer redhat xfree86
rpm.  the driver line in your config should read either
   Driver "ati"
or
   Driver "nv"
depending on which card you have.

Alex

--------------------------

Hi,

I just purchased a DeskTop (2.8 GZ) with
video card of ATI Radeon 9200SE. And I am
using a 17' monitor from Viewsonic 17PS-2.
The video card has a driver when running PC (win
2000),
MSI MS-StarForce GeForce FX 5200. It's on a
separate CD. Without this driver, Win2000 won't
recognize the video card either.

Anyway, now I have the problem of starting X server
with Linux. Linux tries to use VESA (general) without
a success. Now I am trying to figure out the setting
in XF86Config file. The error is 'Failed to load
module "FX 5200"'. I have tried many different ways
without success. Obviously redhat-config-xfree86 won't

help in any way. Based on the information above,
what values are for video card and monitor.
Here is roughly what I have in XF86Config file.

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "Monitor0"
   VendorName "VSC"
   ModelName "17PS"