"screen miniatures" corruption

Ok, I just made up that term because I don't know what to call it.

Running xfree on a twinhead laptop I'm getting lots of screen corruption.
Thing is, the corrupted areas are always three rectangular blocks, and
the contents of the blocks are miniature distorted copies of the entire
screen. It's very weird. A screen-in-a-screen sort of effect, except the
copies are mostly garbled.

Is there a name for this sort of screen corruption?

The driver is trident. Here's the /proc/pci info:

VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems TGUI 9660/938x/968x (rev
211).

This is a redhat system, with XFree 4.3. I also tried dropping in the
trident driver from 4.2, which behaves the same way.

About four years ago XFree worked fine on this hardware. I don't remember
what release it was. 3.1.x, or something.

Please CC replies to me.
Thanks,
b.c.