Slow response to mouse events

Greetings,

I am working on a video project and have hit a problem. The system is based on RH7.3, Xfree 4.2 and a custom kernel based on 2.4.21. Most of the time things are fine. Sometimes, however, when a button is clicked (with a mouse) which should cause a screen to change, nothing happens for 10 - 30 seconds (it varies). If the mouse is clicked on two buttons, the events are queued and both are actioned after a delay. During the pause, the video is display with no problems.

Going back to an older version of the kernel, based on 2.4.19 cures the problem. This suggests it's kernel related. I played around with the dri (we are using a ATI rage card but don't use the dri extension normally).

I have tried the old kernel configuration on the new kernel but it makes no difference. I have check memory usage and disk dma but it's not a general slowdown.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

-- Ian Leonard

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.