Re: S3 driver bug

FYI: Klaus Peichl just confirmed that the e1 value was wrongly calculated, and that replacing

e1 = major;

by
	e1 = minor;

fixes the bug. Fix committed to CVS.

Thomas

Kevin Brosius wrote:
Klaus Peichl wrote:

Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

Apparently, after looking into the 3.3.6 code, the first generations of
S3 do support Bresenham lines after all.

What I see from comparing the code is that the 3.3.6 version does a lot
of stuff to reduce the error term to 12 bit which is the hardware's
maximum.

The 4.x code, although demanding a 12bit Bresenham error term from XAA,
simply adds the given minor and error term and writes the result to the
hardware register, without checking it for overflows. I don't know what
values this function is given, but in case the values are somewhat big,
this may result in a completely wrong error term. The result may very
well look like what the original poster saw, namely lines with a wrong
slope.

Furthermore, I think the way the error term, e1 and e2 values are
calculated differ:

3.3:

(deltas: adx = x2 - x1; ady = y2 - y1)

if (adx > ady) {
   axis = X_AXIS;    <-- x is major axis; adx=major > ady=minor
   e1 = ady << 1;
   e2 = e1 - (adx << 1);
   e = e1 - adx;
} else {
   axis = Y_AXIS;    <-- y is major axis; adx=minor < ady=major
   e1 = adx << 1;
   e2 = e1 - (ady << 1);
   e = e1 - ady;
}

Simply put, if I understood that right, this does

   e1 = minor;
   e2 = minor - major;

4.x:

Here it looks like this:

   e1 = major;
   e2 = minor - major;

Would be interesting to know what impact this difference has. If
anybody's interested, I could compile the driver with that change and
send out the binary.

That would be great! Will the binary be a replacement for /usr/bin/X11/XFree86 or will I have to change something else to test it?

The default XFree86 binary is a module loader, using drivers in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ by default.  Thomas would likely provide
you a s3.o module you could swap with your existing driver.

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria