desktop shortcuts

I install an application using an rpm file, and I would like for a shortcut
to the application to be placed on the desktop upon installation. Is there a
general place to where .desktop files can be placed? E.g a shortcut to the
application needs to be created for all user accounts in the system.

I know .desktop files can be placed in /home/user/.gnome-desktop or
/home/user/Desktop. But can a .desktop file be place somewhere higher up for
all user accounts irrespective of the WM they are using?

Thanx a lot for anyone offering his/her help in advance!

D.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information
is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be monitored.
Calls to QinetiQ may be recorded for quality control,
regulatory and monitoring purposes.