From: "Mattia Landoni" <m.landoni@xxxxxxx>
To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Intel 82845G drivers
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:08:17 +0100

Good morning,

I write from the office; I would like my colleagues to work on Linux (Redhat 9), but in order to convince them I have to set up a computer perfectly working; they are rather suspicious, and in some way I understand them: what if tomorrow they need assistance?

(and if they need assistance for windows? what do they do? that´s a good question, but not enough to have them change their mind).

Sorry i get straight to the point: i read on the Intel website that they gave to Xfree86.org the 82845G video card drivers for Linux. (something like). Intel also says that the next releases of Xfree86 will contain a native driver for this card, but at the present day we can use the VESA native driver.

Yes, but i can run only in 640x480 mode, no more, no less; i want at least 800x600!!! what can I do? help me! I think you should know the following:

1) I have Xfree86 4.3.0
2) The boot says ¨display(s) found, but no valid mode¨.
3) I am a real ignorant, so maybe I did something overtly wrong and I don´t know; please be merciful and try to help me anyway.

The probed driver was i810, but the same. When I change my video configuration under GNOME, i choose e.g. ¨1024x768¨ from the drop-down list; there is a picture of the desktop on a black surface, with a white rectangle around it that changes dimension in proportion to the resolution. When i reboot i get the same rectangle i left (so some datas are saved) but the real desktop and its picture are still small. Sometimes i get the same error of number (2)

HELP ME CLEAN ONE WHOLE ORGANIZATION FROM WINDOWS!

Thank you if you have time and even if you have not.