Re: hiding X cursor and turning off X sleep mode

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, dave giffin wrote:

> how can I hide my cursor so it doesn't show up at all?

   In the general case you can't.

> When X starts my cursor is an 'X', but then when it
> moves over certain programs it changes to 'I' or an
> arrow. I would like to be able to hide it in such a
> way that it doesn't show up in any form.
>
> I know 'xsetroot' can do something with cursors, but I
> don't know if that would help.

   xsetroot changes the cursor of the root window and you
can force it to a cursor that is transparent.  But this
is only used by the root window and apps that don't specify
a cursor.  You cannot force the cursors of the apps that
specify one.

> I'm running XFree86-4.3 on debian sarge
>
> my second question is, after a while of inactivity, my
> monitor goes to sleep. But, if I am playing a video
> with 'mplayer', it doesn't go to sleep.

   Mplayer deliberately does that.  It disables power management
so that it doesn't come on when you're playing movies.

			Mark.