Re: can't start original Red Hat GUI after Xfree86 installation

Quoth Pete Maley:

> I just installed Xfree86 version 4.3.0.  In order to do this I had to
> disable X in the /etc/inittab file and enable the command line login.
> The installation went smoothly.  However, now that it is installed I
> cannot get back to using the original desktop that I was using before
> installation.  I changed the /etc/inittab file back so that it starts an
> X session, and I do get an X session when I login, but it isn't the same
> as what I had before.  I am using Red Hat 9.  Any help would be
> appreciated.

different GUI? sounds like you're just getting a different window manager.
Are you using xdm/kdm or something? You can use your .xsession to control
which WM xdm launches, or just choose it from the menu in kdm.

You're rather vague about the problem though...

cheers
chris
|  TELESCOPE, n.                                                        |
|  A device having a relation to the eye similar to that of the         |
|  telephone to the ear, enabling distant objects to plague us with a   |
|  multitude of needless details. Luckily it is unprovided with a bell  |
|  summoning us to the sacrifice.                                       |
|                 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"           |