Re: [XFree86] An idea: Any comments?

> Thanks for your reply, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean...
>
> I'm really not that well acquainted with the details of how the Xserver
> works; I realise I'd have to do a lot of reading if I'm actually to get
> anywhere with this idea :-) but is your suggestion to take care of what I
> had envisioned "mini-X" doing?

yes.  It seems like the problem you are trying to solve is to speed up drwing
operations in X by eliminating the need to send all of the individual cmds
to the Xserver and/or by copying pixmaps over to the server for display.

The shared memory extension allows you to create an Ximage data structure
in shared memory which can then be accessed directly by the Xserver rather
than by copying via the X protocol.

You write your changes into the Ximage and then send a command via X
protocol to cause the Xserver to update the display using the updated
shared memory image.

As you can imagine there is quite a bit of speed gain doing things this way.

The advantage is as I already said, you gain speed but since the Xserver
and the window manager are still in the loop the desktop remains
undisturbed.

I think you may find that people writing games use this feature.

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments ?