Re: [XFree86] Radeon 9200/DVI with latest XFree86

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:03:13PM -0600, Roger Sunshine wrote:
> I recently bought a Radeon 9800 SE based card made by PowerColor (model
> r92le-c3s, box makred with a "SE" sticker) and a Viewsonic VX2000 LCD
> monitor and I can't get the DVI port to work well.  I'm running RedHat 9
> and with the X driver included with it and the chip id overridden to
> just about any known radeon card, I get no picture at all on the DVI
> port (though the X logs indicate that it found the monitor).  Searching
> the mailing list archives on various places indicated that the 9200 card
> is not quite compatible with other radeons, so I pulled down the current
> XFree86 tree (as of midday 11/9) and built X from scratch.  Running the
> resulting X server produces a image on the DVI port if I have only the
> DVI port connected, but either the image quality is horrible (closest
> approximation would be a tv screen with lots of "snow") or the picture
> does not appear at all.  Oddly enough, if I plug the analog port in, the
> analog picture is fine (sans some visible ringing in the signal).  The
> monitor and card work fine in Windows XP, so I know that both parts are
> properly connected and configured.
>
> Attached are the XFree86.0.log file and my XF86Config file.
>
> Thanks for any information.

Make sure XFree is not accidentally choosing a mode that would be fine
for the analog side, but is overdriving the DVI port.  I've had this
problem in the past; the digital transmitter is very seldom capable of
keeping up with the analog side (and very few will do > 1280x1024, and
many can't even do that at > 60Hz, even when the analog output is
capable of 4x as much).

Monty