[XFree86] Re: Who maintains the monitor databases?

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

>I don't know of an XFree86 monitor database.  It's not really a
>good solution to the problem (doesn't scale well).  Monitor
>identification based on EDIDs (plug and play info gathered
>through the video card's I2C bus) is preferable.

I agree 100% with you of course, however DDC probe is not always
available for one reason or another.  If DDC probe is not
available, having an end user manually key in their display's
horiz/vert ranges and other settings is not a really good
solution though.

The best solution is to use DDC probed EDID data, and in lieu of
that, fall back to a list of predefined known monitors which come
from a monitor database of as many monitors as possible, in order
to maximize compatibility and user friendliness.  That can only
really done either with a monolithic database as is common now in
various OSS OS distributions, or via distributed per-product and
per-vendor metadata files such as Windows .INF files or a similar
solution.

So, it's definitely prefered to use EDID, but unfortunately
KVM's, some video drivers, and other situations require a monitor
database to exist, either monolithically or distributed.

I'm collecting monitor .INF files in order to try to unify this
for all distributions in the future.  People can attach .INF
files or links to them to the video-hwdata project feature/bug
tracker on sourceforge and I'll be putting them together over the
next several months hopefully.

Take care,
TTYL

--