Re: [XFree86] Why does overlay lag behind with XVideo?

Thomas Winischhofer (thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> >>This is typical behavior of all overlays.  The overlay doesn't update
> >>until the next retrace but all other graphics draw as soon as
> >>possible.
> >

> >  But you can see the window moving.  The problem is that the overlay
> >doesn't get reprogrammed with a new position until the next frame is
> >drawn from the input.  So I draw a frame, the overlay is programmed to
> >draw it at 50,50.  I move the window to 75,75 overlay is still at 50,50,
> >so my window moves faster than the video.  Next frame is drawn by xine
> >or whatever and now the video is at 75,75.
> >
> >  It's a valid complaint, would be nice if the overlay position could be
> >updated during window move, don't know how feasible it is.
>
> This is not possible with most hardware I know of. The engines usually
> read the overlay parameters only once per frame, during retrace.

  I meant frame sent by xine.  When you move an XVIDEO window around, I
do not think you are just seeing inconsistency as tearing.

  With my application I can change the output framerate between 59.94 fps
and 29.97 fps.  When tvtime is drawing at 29.97 fps, the lag between
window moves and the contents moving is much longer than at 59.94 fps.

  -Billy