[XFree86] problem: xdm kills vt's, startx does not

Hello,

I recently wanted to switch from startx - based to [gkx]dm-style logins. I
use a
XFree86-4.3.0 version I compiled from source earlier this year which I never
had problems with.
Now when I start [gkx]dm (with default-settings), I'm able to login and do
stuff,
but upon logout I can no longer use the other (console-) terminals
(CTRL-ALT-Fxx).
They simply show the Image that is displayed on vt7 (X). Furthermore, X no
longer
runs on vt7, but changes to vt8 (even though I specified vt7 in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers).
(It seems to be the result of a race condition, for when I log in on vt8,
then log out
again -> X switches to vt7). However, until I log out from a xdm (I'll stick
to xdm
from now on) - managed session for the first time I am perfectly able to
switch
vts, just like I had started X from the console (startx) in the first place.
Furthermore, as long as I don't log out, I can kill the X server
(CTRL-ALT-Backspace)
without problems, but when I log out the other vts are killed.

Now I tried some Window-Managers (twm, metacity, enlightenment) but it's
the same behaviour with any of them. A (related?) Problem: logging out and
restarting xdm takes unusually long.

Since I have a second (older) linux-system (XFree-4.2.0 compiled from
source)
on my harddisk, I tried chroot'ing into it and tested my setup, which worked

perfectly. (Same xdm config-files mod comments.) I figured the problem might
be the devices in /dev, but I tried mount --bind'ing the /dev from the
faulty system
into the chroot'ed one and the latter still worked perfectly, so it should
neither
be a permission problem with the device files.

There seems to be a similar problem in a posting to this list (concerning an
ATI-card
on a Red Hat - System), however since my system works perfectly when started
with startx (Voodoo3, DRI-enabled) I figure that it's not a faulty driver.
Furthermore
a recent Distribution (SuSE-Linux 8.2) which also uses XFree-4.3 as well as
the
Knoppix-3.2 Release both work perfectly. So I guess the fault lies with me
and
my configuration.

The log files do not mention any error at all, even /var/log/xdm-errors does
reveal nothing.

So the problem boils down to this: when I log out of a xdm-managed session,
X switches vts (7->8 and backwards) and all other vts are useless (although
I can killall xdm; shutdown; etc. with no problems).

Does anyone have an idea?

Oh, I should mention that I recently added shadow passwords and pam, but I
recompiled [gk]dm with pam enabled; and I never had problems logging in to
X.

Any help would be appreciated.
Greetings
 Stefan Birkholz

N.B.: Please excuse my previous (empty) posting.