Re: [XFree86] Fatal server with Intel i830 in suse 8.2

Quoth Emilio Jose Paich Cucis:

> Hell
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 and i want inswtall Suse Linux 8.2
>
> There's a i830M chipset that should work fine with XFree86 4.2.0, but the
> server doesn't start.

The pcidata module says it's been compiled for XFree86 4.2.0, but you're
running 4.3.0.  This will probably cause problems.  Have you been
switching between the two versions?  Try replacing this module with the
4.3.0 version.

> XFree86 Version 4.3.0
<snip>
> (II) Module pcidata: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> 	compiled for 4.2.0, module version = 0.1.0

cheers
chris

|  TELESCOPE, n.                                                        |
|  A device having a relation to the eye similar to that of the         |
|  telephone to the ear, enabling distant objects to plague us with a   |
|  multitude of needless details. Luckily it is unprovided with a bell  |
|  summoning us to the sacrifice.                                       |
|                 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"           |