[XFree86] Respawn problem

  I am a newbie, and recently encountered a problem after updating glibc
packages on my Redhat 9 installation.  After reboot, my KDE login screen
wouldn't come up, the Xserver wasn't starting, and the black screen started
scrolling errors that said something was respawning too fast (I don't
remember the precise error).  Anyway, because I had no idea how to correct
this I ended up reinstalling Redhat 9 from scratch and have avoided
installing the glibc updates.  I would like to install these updates but am
hesitant to do so in light of my earlier problem.  Has anyone seen this
problem before, and is there any easy correction?  Thanks.

Regards,
Jeff Stephens