[XFree86] Problem with multiple X servers (text background flashing black)

Hello

I am trying out multiple local X servers.  I did this once before, but decided
to forget about it because of this same problem.

I am now running Gnome 2.2 and KDE 3.1.4, KDE is on vt7, Gnome is on vt8.
This is a Debian 3.0r1 mixed stable/testing/unstable system.  X is 4.2.1,
kernel is 2.6.0-test9.  I have a dual Pentium III and a Matrox G400 with 32MB
memory.  I have a flat panel, so everything is always at 1280x1024.

The servers are started by kdm 3.1.4

Both servers have a depth of 24 and 32 bpp.  vt7 has direct rendering, vt8
doesn't.

Problem is that after a while of using one or both servers, some windows
containing text (black text, light background) start flashing black.  This
affects browsers and graphical text editors.  Sometimes the whole background
of the window turns suddenly black, and after some time it reverts backto
normal.

Sometimes only the chapter I'm writing to (or where the cursor is located)
flashes to black and back to normal again.  All text remains black when it
happens.  Only the background turns black and back to light brown or light
green again (two background colors of my choice).

When only the chapter turns black, instead of a whole window, the black area
has the shape of the text, i.e. it's not limited to a rectangular shape.
Also, black is not my color for selected text.

In text editors, it seems like that the turning black happens more often if
I'm typing at the same time.  Something like 10 to 20 characters, then black,
then some characters more (sometimes just one), then back to normal.  It
rarely turns back to normal spontaneously.

Pressing <enter> triggers it easier than typing ordinary characters.  I also
saw the paragraph containing the cursor turn black, the whole background of
the window turn black, but some other paragraphs remained normal.

This never happens with only one X server.

I now tried writing nonsense in Kedit (a simple KDE text editor), and could
trigger the anomaly in vt8, but not in vt7.  But I've also seen it happen
under kwm and in vt7, so it's not about Gnome doing it and KDE not doing it,
or vt7 doing it and vt8 not doing it.  It happens in all kinds of situations.
Sometimes it doesn't appear for some minutes, sometimes it happens every few
seconds.

Should I install X 4.3.0 or disable direct rendering altogether, or use
different bpp in the servers?  Or use gdm instead of kdm?

-Kimmo Sundqvist