Re: [XFree86] Please, help linux newbie

I was also having a hard time in starting Xserver but the error message was different.
This may occur because possibly some XFree86 file may be corrupted. I guess that there is no
repair to Xserver crashes
But the best and safest solution is to re-install only Xwindow system from installation CDs.
Believe me that just installing Xwindow doesn't change any of your previous settings and neither
you have reinstall some softwares again
Installing just Xwindow raplaces the previous files with new files

So just boot from installation CD and choose to upgrade and when it asks which new packages to
install select all packages of X and X hardware support.This will overwrite ur Xwindow system
without touching ur linux kernel or changing any of ur previous settings.
So obviously there is no data loss !!!!

I had just done this and then Xserver started without any problems.

If this could solve ur problem plz let me know